Important Voter Information
Who is Eligible to Vote:
- Be a U.S. citizen;
- Be a Maryland resident;
- Be at least 18 years old by the next general election;
- Not be under guardianship for mental disability;
- Not have been convicted of buying or selling votes;
- Not have been convicted of a felony, or if you have, you have completed serving a court ordered sentence of imprisonment, including any term of parole or probation for the conviction.
How to Register to Vote:
Apply in Person at the following locations:
- Your local board of elections
- The State Board of Elections
- The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
- The Department of Social Services
- The Motor Vehicle Administration
- Offices on Aging
- The MTA Paratransit Certification Office
- All public institutions of higher education
- Recruitment offices of the U.S. Armed Forces
- Marriage License offices
- Offices for students with disabilities at all Maryland colleges and universities
Register by mail:
- Download the application below in English or Spanish
- Ensure that you have signed the application once completed
- Mail the application to:
Charles County Board of Elections
P.O. Box 908, La Plata MD 20646-0908
- Do not email or fax the application
Updating your voter registration information:
- If you have updated your information with the MVA you will be up to date
- If you would like to update your information you may submit a voter registration application above.
- You may vote absentee if you will be unable to vote in person on election day.
- Request an absentee ballot registration form:
Voting Early – (New in 2010)
- Early Voting will be held at the Charles County Board of Elections located at:
201 E. Charles Street
La Plata, MD 20646
- Early voting for the primary will be from 10am to 8pm.
- Polls for the primary election will be open September 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9.
- Polls for the general election will be open October 22, 23, 25, 26, 27, 28.